In just a year, they have achieved monstrous success — and this is just the beginning.
by taylor tran
1. Despite being called TWICE, the group was formed on the reality Show Sixteen and is composed of nine members: Nayeon, Jeongyeon, Momo, Sana, Jihyo, Mina, Dahyun, Chaeyoung, and Tzuyu.
They all have impressive backgrounds pre-debut: Leader Jihyo trained for 10 years before debuting; Mina danced ballet; and many appeared in other artists’ MVs.
2. The group is quite diverse in nationality. There are five Korean members: Nayeon, Jeongyeon, Jihyo, Dahyun, and Chaeyoung.
There are also three Japanese members: Momo, Sana, and Mina. And finally, there is one Taiwanese member: Tzuyu. She is also the youngest (maknae) of the group, as well as the tallest.
Left to right: Jeongyeon, Nayeon, Dahyun, Mina, Sana, Jihyo, Tzuyu, Chaeyoung, Momo
3. They hold the record for the highest-viewed debut MV of all time. Like OOH-AHH currently has over 77 million views on YouTube. This surpasses the record previously held by 2NE1’s debut with Fire (42 million views).
4. TWICE won the Rookie of the Year award at the 2015 Mnet Asian Music Awards, and they are speculated to be the group that keeps keeps JYP Entertainment one of the top agencies in Korea, in both status and finance.
The group’s first two albums have sold over 180K units, they are topping charts, being regarded as “Monster Rookies,” and only a couple of months after their debut, they signed 10 CF (commerical film) deals worth over 1.8 billion won (1.5 million dollars).
5. They will be performing at KCON this year, and the SnackFever team will be there, too! 😉
Come stop by our booth for some goodies (the best Korean snacks), or come prepared and subscribe to have your snacks ready for KCON 🙂 See you there!
Follow Us! 😃